NYPA Helps Schools Go Solar
The K-Solar Program empowers schools to procure affordable solar energy without affecting school district budgets. Governor Cuomo initiated this joint program of NYPA, NYSERDA, the Governor's Energy Office, and the NYS Education Department, and it has become a national model for school solarization. This historic energy program—the largest multi-agency solar buying consortium project in the United States—inspires the next generation of energy leaders and helps schools statewide to save money and lower their carbon footprints. School districts in 59 of New York State’s 62 counties—more than ⅓ of the schools in the state—have joined the program.
K-Solar services for schools
- Services are provided at no cost to your district.
- We collaborate with school staff to determine if facilities are suitable for solar.
- We estimate costs, capacity, and savings.
- We assist in developing a cost-effective arrangement with the solar installation and operation vendors selected for this program.
- We offer teacher workshops and solar-related STEM curricula (in science, technology, engineering and math) for the school districts