NYPA's 500-MW combined-cycle power-generating facility is one of the cleanest, most-efficient power plants in New York Citys history. It has provided New York City with adequate, reliable power supplies since 2005. The power plant runs on clean natural gas, with low sulfur oil as a backup fuel.
The plant is located in Astoria, Queens. NYPA's property is part of a larger site on which other power plants are located. Since 1905 this property, in the northwest corner of Queens, overlooking the East River, has been used for electricity generation, fuel storage and related industrial purposes. By building this combined-cycle plant here, the Power Authority was able to use the existing infrastructure network, which includes a natural gas supply, electric transmission and fuel storage facilities.